Sunday, December 31, 2006

El año que viene en Cuba!

"Spanish New Year's Eve (Nochevieja, or Fin de Año) celebrations usually begin with a family dinner, traditionally including shrimp and lamb or turkey. The actual countdown is primarily followed from the clock on top of the Casa de Correos building in Puerta del Sol square in Madrid. It is traditional to eat 12 grapes, one on each chime of the clock. This tradition has its origins in 1909, when grape growers in Alicante thought of it as a way to cut down on the large production surplus they had had that year. Nowadays, the tradition is followed by almost every Spaniard, and the 12 grapes have become synonymous with the New Year. After the clock has finished striking twelve, people greet each other and toast with sparkling wine such as cava or champagne, or alternatively with cider."

The 12 grapes are eaten not only in Spain, and I look forward to the time when my wife Yuliet and I can celebrate this tradition together, hopefully in a Cuba Libre.


To my friends all over the world, I love you, I miss you, Happy New Year, les quiero mucho, les extaño muchisimo, Feliz Año 2007...

2 comments:

  1. So, let us know how the trip went. We're assuming the wife is well. Please, details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, I wish your holidays were the best ever.. (but I know why they might not have been :(
    At any rate, Happy New Year..
    Question for you: I have one week to blow during February for a training camp, preferably someplace warm... I have a feeling you might be able to recommend a place.

    ReplyDelete

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.