Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jeff Timinski Wrote This in 2001

I’m lying in bed, in the pitch black of my apartment. I can’t see what time it is, as none of the scattered LEDs that interrupt the darkness display the time. What I do know is that I have to be up at 4:30am to be picked up at 5am, to drive 4 hours to race.

Last year, I raced maybe a half dozen times, all local events. It was the first year since ’95 that I wasn’t racing almost every weekend, usually both days, from March till I burnt out in late August. Last year, I worked Monday thru Friday, eight to five (though I never really left at five) like most people – a regular day job. I met some one in March, about the time of year when my friend Neil would jettison his annual off-season girlfriend. I had the idea that I’d like to try mountain bike racing.

The dilemma I’m in…or potentially in…is that I have no idea what time it actually is. If it is 4:26 am, everything is fine, I can just lay here and get up to shut off the alarm in the next few minutes. However, if it is 1:30am…well that‘s not so good. I’m awake now…falling asleep again will be difficult…something that isn’t going to just happen. Now here is the rub. If I get up to see what time it is, that’ll make going back to sleep again even more of a bitch.

I’m back to working evenings again.

I’ve found that while I really enjoy mountain bike riding, mountain bike racing is another story.

Nicole and I are still together.

Finally, the alarm goes off and I pop out of bed, relieved.
Now, four hours in the car with no radio. I really can’t critique the shortcomings of Joe’s car because it runs. I used to tell Matt that he couldn’t make any comments about my civic because he didn’t have a car. Now that very same civic lies in a coma behind my apartment.

The four hours go by surprisingly fast, much like Joe’s driving.

The race starts late, of course. While it’s nice not to have to rush, I wish they’d just get on with it. I have an unfamiliar nervous feeling. I used to NEVER get nervous or have butterflies before races. I guess it was the time off, the untested legs, the impressive field. I knew this wouldn’t be an easy race, that wasn’t the question. The question was would I survive?

While Joe hung out with our Kiwi teammates Mark and Roz, I made absolutely sure that my bladder was empty. While staging, I stood along side Roz, “chatting it up” as she’d say. She asked me “Well, what are you good at?”

to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. However, in commenting, you agree that you will not:1) Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights. 2) Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by Pappillon in its sole discretion. 3) Impersonate another person.