Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Debate Prep

It's with definite pride that I claim to be an accomplished author who has had works published in exchange for money (paid to me, not the other way around!), and a very effective persuader who was often encouraged to be a litigator based on the (erroneous?) assumption that someone who can argue a point relentlessly and securely, from an unassailable position, would make a good trial lawyer. I'm not entirely convinced of the second point, but it's immaterial as I neither want to be a lawyer nor would I ever be admitted to the bar.

But enough about me - let's talk about me. Just kidding. Seriously, for as good of a persuader I am, and as adept as I am with both the written and spoken word, it's all natural talent - no learned behavior. Sure, I have a skill set that was enhanced with academic and practical training, but my talent for writing and persuading (as modest as it is) seems innate.

Thus, I have a lack of schooling on the topics of logic and debate, and a question for you, my more sophisticated readers: what is the term or phrase to describe a fallacious argument made by someone who rejects a request or proposal by postulating that it will lead to an immprobable - no, an impossible - outcome? For example, let's say that I requested of my employer that I be allowed to work from home one day per week, but in denying my request, the firm postulated that if they gave me 9 hours of flex-time per week, it would be a short throw from my working at home, to my running a brothel out of my home. And therefore they couldn't grant my request. Even though there was no prostitution in my plans, and the only mention of a house of ill repute originated in their twisted minds.

Please, if you can advise, I'm all ears.

2 comments:

  1. It seems to be along the lines of reductio ad adsurdum. Although not spot on.

    Are you still laying odds whether The Shack will make it to the Champs Elysees?


    http://www.iep.utm.edu/reductio/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon, thanks for the feedback - and thanks as well to the guys who shared their thoughts via Twitter.

    Now that RS has started the Tour, I think the odds of their being thrown out are low. However, I will lay odds that the team does not continue into 2011...

    ReplyDelete

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.